Tuesday 23 November 2010

Religion vs Beliefs

cross road gifts, cross road gift, cross road merchandise, gifts for cross road, gift for cross road


Ok, so, this is the first day on a journey i have been thinking about for a while now.  Been thinking really deeply lately, trying to equate my medicated depression and emotional mood swings with faith and religion.  Can it be done in this modern day n age ? Can a person achieve distance from yet be part of the world ?

I know and understand the Christian faith, i have lived the life and walked its path.  It appeals to the religious side of me, i still believe in God and Jesus, the crucifixion and the resurrection.
I really don't feel it touches my mental "mess" tho and the Buddhism book and sites i have been looking at do.  The idea of being self sufficient in an emotional way and calm in a mental way is terribly appealing, and to rely on myself rather than others or a God i cant see is a new and curious idea.
 
Can you mix two religions into one faith so a person can have a belief system that is as individual as they are ?

WHY NOT !!!!!

We are all different so why should one faith fit all ??

1 comment:

  1. Dear Gill,
    I am happy to see this blog. I am wishing you all the very best with your journey.
    I believe that despite the differences, Buddhism and Christianity are pointing the same way.

    In the simple spirit of sharing (can't remember If I already told you this) I practice Christian Meditation through a path trodden from the early church (through the desert fathers) up until now. The group I'm in (now run) belongs to the World Community for Christian Meditation (WCCM -find them on the web if you wish) whose current Director Fr Laurence Freeman is a personal friend of the Dalai Lama and firmly believes in Interfaith dialogue and shared prayer in silence. I have been practising meditation since 2004 (though rarely twice daily as I would like to do)and have found it to be indespensible and a source of great blessing, still mostly unrevealed I believe.

    Would encourage you to go forward with your enquiry.
    Hope you don't mind such a full response straight away. xxx

    ReplyDelete